Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ruby's first DIY oil change

Actually, the first DIY oil change for everyone here. It was quite an adventure, for such a seemingly simple thing. Thankfully, we'd been given an oil filter along the way, because they're hard to come by. But everything else - right down to the gasket - was a freak show. Mike was all over the city and I was calling all over looking for all the special things it'd need. And of course, being a VW, everything has to be weird. Here are the guys, assembling the gear.

John, excited to be part of such exciting excitement!


The guys get down to business



We set up a little peanut gallery to the side, so the other kids and I could stay out of the way, but still feel part of the action -especially once the sludge that was the old oil glopped out. Dave wanted to play in it so bad!

I can see why 10-minute oil change shops exist. What a headache that was! But it's done - hopefully done right - and the van has had all its repairs. As far as ICBC is concerned, it's fit and ready for the open road. It's even sporting new plates and insurance papers, so we have RCMP approval, too. I'm going to miss looking like an Albertan tourist, though - seems there are as many red plates as blue on the weekends around here, so we fit in either way. But I wonder if drivers here treat locals better or worse. 

All that's left is cleaning and packing. A daunting task of its own - better get busy! 

No comments: