Friday, December 03, 2004

Thank-you!


John getting to know his new toy Posted by Hello

This is a new pair of overalls, and a new toy from John's Great Auntie Glen Ellen and Great Uncle Dave. Nearly all of John's wardrobe so far has been courtesy of them. (The shoes are from my parents.) This was taken just before we left for the grocery store. He got plenty of oooooh's and awwww's from this outfit, and the toy kept him happy and occupied for the entire trip. It's by far his new favourite - he flaps his arms everytime he sees me bringing it to him. He can put an entire foot in his mouth at once, which only adds to its appeal.

MOM - No - no-one here is up at 5 a.m.!! This site is from a different time zone. The posting times are from their time zone, not mine, and they're always way out of whack. I think today it says 6:30, and I'm never even up then! Luckily, the earliest John gets up is 7, which I can live with.

He normally falls asleep really, really easily. As long as he can find his thumb, he's usually out within five minutes. I think that photo was taken close to 11, which isn't too bad. His normal bedtime is between 9-10. He never stays up to be with me, but he almost always battles off sleep until Mike gets home and plays with him. Once he's seen Mike, he settles down. I think that's why he wakes up and goes to sleep when he does - that way, Dad will play with him both before and after work. On days that Mike has off, John will often sleep in until 9, or go to bed at 7. Except for Saturday nights, that is. He seems to know when we're up late watching Movie Night in Canada, or Saturday Night at the Movies on TVO. He likes to come up and cuddle under the blanket with us.

Lately, he's just really excited. He wants to stay up late and practice rolling, now that he remembers how. It's getting better now though. He falls asleep like normal, and sleeps the normal length of time, and just rolls over when he wakes up, which is much better.

The rash is going away - I'm really thinking it's something in the cereal, because it started to ease off after it was all out of his system. It's still there, but not as raw looking. I've been looking for a different brand of cereal, just in case, but they all have strange things in them. One has olive oil. Another is made with powdered milk. I hear there's an organic one out there, but I haven't found it. I'd give him real rice, but it's not the rice he needs, it's the iron that's been added to it. But we'll see - I'll try the cereal once more. If the same thing happens, I'll call the doc.

The Millers did send a cream, and it's great - it's a daily preventative cream. I don't use it every day, but if I see a bit of pink coming, and I have it beside me, I will use it. It's petroleum based, to keep out the water. However, my doctor said this other stuff is better once the rash is there - it's quite a bit more money than the other creams, but he says it's the best one, so it's worth the extra money. It's silicone based so it clings better than petroleum and soothes any irritation he may feel. So far, it is working the best. I had high hopes for the zinc oxide, but it didn't seem to do much of anything. I keep leaving his bottom exposed for a bit each day, and the rash should be gone soon. It is just a really stubborn rash, especially considering he doesn't get diaper rash much at all. I'm a little worried it might be infected with fungus - I hear that happens - but I have no idea what that would look like to know if that has happened.

His stroller is actually really tall - almost as tall as a high chair, which is why I used it. He sits about waist-high. I used to use his Snugli to wash the dishes while he was awake - the rocking always put him to sleep. But now he's so big, his feet dip into the water, which he really doesn't like. It never occurred to me to use a high-chair instead, until I read it. I'd be a hopeless mother without books telling me what the heck to do. A few weeks ago, I would have just put his car seat on the counter beside me so he could be higher up, which I know you're not supposed to do anyway. But now it's downright dangerous - he's figured out how to get out. (Unless he's strapped in, which he hates.) He's figured out that if he arches his back to make his body stiff and straight, and gives a little wiggle, he can slide right out of his seat. I don't know what he thinks he'll do once he gets out, but he's pretty proud of himself all the same. He did it once while we were waiting in line at the store, to the horror of a little old lady behind me. (I cought him in time, don't worry. And yes, I usually keep him strapped in while in stroller mode, but he was fussy so I was carrying him, but had set him down to find my wallet.)

Sometimes, he'll hold his arms out to the sides, so I can't get his body down into the seat. I have to be fast with the harness these days - he fights for his freedom the whole time I'm strapping him in, then cries when I ultimately win the battle. Time to switch to the big seat, I guess. Less convenient for me, but he'd probably be happier. He makes me a little nervous how he can figure things out like that. He can reach the top rail of his cradle and grab on at will, now that he can move around on his own. The first time he did it, I swear, I saw a lightbulb turn on above his head. I don't know what he's planning to do with the rail, but I can see him thinking every time he has it in his hand. It worries me. I have visions of him pulling himself up, and flipping over the edge, just to prove to himself that it's possible. It's just a matter of time. He's a schemer, like his Dad. Time for the big crib, too, I guess.

No comments: