Friday, December 10, 2004

Ding dong, the rash is dead - almost


The naked nap's days are numbered Posted by Hello
It's too bad, though - he actually seems to like them. He's probably going to be a nudist when he grows up. I thought babies hated being naked - John has loved it from day one.

John and I headed to Sears yesterday to preview the cribs. He sprung a leak while we were there, so I ducked into the nursing room to change him. The nurse remembered him from last time, and was making faces at him while I changed his diaper. (I had to use a wipe - no squirt bottles there.) Well, she noticed the remains of his rash, when I pulled the rash cream out of my bag - it's ust a bit of pinkness now.

She said it's definitely what a food reaction looks like. (I didn't actually go IN to the doc - he hasn't physically seen it, so he hasn't told me what it could be from.) She said it doesn't generally happen with rice. She said it's either a reaction to an ingredirent, or to food period - his gut may not have been mature enough to handle it yet. She suggested that when we're ready to start again, (she suggested waiting the full six months, just to be sure he's ready) just skip the rice and start with oats. If the same thing happens, it could indicate that he's just not ready for food at all. If it causes no reaction, but going back to rice does, then we'll know it was something about the rice. Makes sense to me.

Unfortunately, I had just bought a new box of rice (I found the organic brand - just organic rice and iron in the ingredients.) They didn't have the organic oats in, so I found a different brand of oats. Luckily, most had fewer ingredients than the rice anyway - proably because oats taste better by themselves. I skipped the brand who's second ingredient was palm kernel oil (yikes!) and went for one that was basicly oats and vitamins, and not much else. It's Heinz, I think. We'll give that a try, and hope he can handle it better.

She said he looks fantastic and very healthy! He's 18 pounds, 4 ounces, which is right on track from the growth chart she had there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now THIS would be one of those pictures that a good Mom would just tuck away and keep private until a future date - the first time he brings home a girl friend, for instance.

Great shot, Meg. We DO miss getting photos via e-mail, because the images on the blog are much smaller. Are you archiving the full sized images somewhere so we can get copies?

All's well 'up north' and we delight in checking in regulary. Will be including this site in our Christmas letter to family and friends, if that's ok.

More than a few of us think you ought to be submitting your writing to "Parents" magazine or similar; you have so much to share and your writing style is fabulous.

Paw-in-Law