Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Just say No to Cheerios


John sleeping beside flowers - posted to celebrate our above-freezing, return-of-spring weather. Posted by Hello

We thought we'd give John a thrill today, and let him try Cheerios. Most of the online moms of 7-month-olds say they give them to their babies, no problems.

It was love at first sight. He spent ages pushing them around his tray, picking them up with his thumb and fingertip, smashing them together. It was all great fun - until he tried to actually eat one. I modelled correct Cheerio eating for him several times, stressing the chewing action. He couldn't quite follow along - he liked to play with them, but couldn't physicaly pick one up and place it in his mouth. So, I put one in the palm of my hand for him, and he instantly bent down and slurped it up with his mouth.

He looked completely confused for a second, and I repeated the chewing motions in front of him. That was when all of the colour drained from his face. He turned as white as paper, but with bright red circles around his eyes. His mouth was wide open but he was completely silent, except for the frenzied banging on his tray. "My God," I thought. "He's choking!!" I called for Mike, in case I needed him to call an ambulance. Luckily, I had read the choking chapter of my book, so I knew what to do. Sure enough, the Cheerio was stuck in the back, so I scooped it out with my finger.

It was by far my scariest mommy moment yet. It was pretty scary for him too. He was shaking, and as soon as he caught his breath, the arms shot up for a cuddle. I would have obliged right away, but in the panic of the moment and the shoving of fingers down throats, John had thrown up his entire dinner. There he was, with his sad puppy face, and his arms reaching for me, but he was covered head to toe in curdled milk. It was all over his face, his hands; it was dripping on the floor. Obviously we did have a long, long cuddle after that ordeal, but needless to say, we left his clothes out of it. And the Cheerios? They're banished to the top shelf. John's going to be eating purees until he's two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chrissy Shorrock was in my office yesterday with her little girl - born about a week after John was, last July. She sat in Mom's arms, happily munching Cheerio's when offered - apparently she's been snacking on them for a couple of weeks.

Are Cheerio's the universal "eight month old and teething again" food?

You did a great job handling John's first experience at choking on food - congrats! Have your nerve endings stopped tingling yet?

How's the 'strike situation' going? We haven't hear any update in a while.

Paw-in-Law

Anonymous said...

Saturday p.m.
Congrats on your reaction to John's chocking. Those where the days - I remember grabbing Bruce by the ankles & slapping him on the back - you do have to move fast.
Gwen was saying that she put her hand into Randy's mouth to remove the beer bottle cap & he bite her. Mother's have a tough time.
This aft. was the first game of the tournament of hearts in St. John's. Next game is 6 p.m. It's too dammed cold to walk - windchill makes it -30 - ugh.
Spring has to come. I'm waiting patiently for the trip to Doc Lai in TBay on the 7th of March then I'm hoping to visit you guys to see John again.

Love - GeeGee