Saturday, February 19, 2005

The flu spreads....

No picture today - Mike took all my batteries to use in his work equipment, so I can't download the camera. I'll get them back soon, don't worry. I know where he lives.

We're all sick. Mike called in sick this morning and probably will again tomorrow, and Adrian has barely left his bed all week. (I did offer to take him to the doc, Mom, but he says it isn't needed - he feels he's improving.) I'm just hoping it's the same cold, so John and I won't get sick yet again. I don't think we'll be so lucky, though. Adrian came home with this one, and gave it to Mike, so I think it might be new.

John's top tooth broke through today! You can't really see it very well, but I can feel it - just a tiny ridge so far.

He's learning how to cruise - it's so cute. He'll stand up, holding onto our headboard, and inch along our mattress. He's become very good at creeping. He followed me to the bathroom today, and later tried to follow me to the kitchen, but only made it halfway before melting down.

Our Parentlink class this week was all about making babyfood, so the city sent a dietition. I already know how, but it was good to have someone trained in diet to ask questions. Turns out I shouldn't be giving him any water after all! No water until he's about a year and a half!!! It was a relief, because he's just not getting this whole cup thing yet, even though the other nurse said to start giving him water at six months. I was worried he'd dehydrate, but turns out he'll be better off without it.

She showed us the babyfood textures we should be aiming for, as our babies get older. John should be starting chunkier food now. She showed us a lot of nifty little gadgets for making food. One was this tiny little food processor - only $8. I think I'm going to get one - it was pretty cool and did a really good job of making the chunkier food.

It was a really useful class, but John was completely miserable the whole time; she kept making babyfood, including all his favourites, like banana and sweet potato, and setting them on the table in front of him. He found it a little frustrating, to say the least.

Anyway, I've got him climbing all over me right now, driving me batty, so I'm going to take another crack at putting him to bed. He's become quite the contortionist.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just checked yogurt recipe. I don't remember adding the evaporated milk - but it's been awhile. I also don't remember having an electric yogurt maker once back in Canada - but I found the bucket one. From you kids? Or my sister, perhaps. Anyways, if you can't find an electric one, which is the easiest for controlling the temperature, then let me know & I'll send this one on to you. I had to wash & bleach it out, so I must have used it - made so much when you kids were younger, perhaps I couldn't figure out temp on this one. It's a thermal bucket - insulated with styrofoam - so you must have to heat the mixture, watching with a thermometer, and then pour into bucket & insulate until set. (Instructions have gone missing.)
Sooo much easier with an electric one - takes the guessw0ork out of it.

Anyways, here's recipe.
Using blender, liquify 6 cups water, 11/2 cups of non-instant powdered milk, a large can of
UNSWEETENED evaporated milk and yogurt culture or 3 tablespoons of commercial yogurt or of the last yogurt made.
Pour this mixture into jars & set into electric yogurt maker or set jars into a large pan of warm water coming to brim of the glasses and kept at 105 to 120 degrees farenheit for about 4 hours or until it becomes the texture of pudding. (Can you set temperature of slow cooker? Perhaps that would work. If base of it ios metal, you might have to set something under the jars so temp isn't hotter on the bottom of the jar. Too hot kills the culture, of course.) Refrigerate.
Save some for next batch.
When John gets older, you can make yogurt popsicles! Mix with fruit or juice. Blueberries!

Sounds like a hassle but it wouldn't be, once you were set up to do it. And although the high quality non-instant milk poweder is fairly expensive, it would probably work out cheaper than buying commercial. The trick is to plan on being around to refridgerate after the four hours.

My book says trying to make yogurt with fresh milk is often unsuccessful. Also, remember that milk products lose nutrients when exposed to light. So, if you find a yogurt maker that has a clear top on it, cover with a towel for the four hour period.

Nice talking to you today. And for the record, I, too, am happy that you were able to retrieve the Cheerio! Good going! Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just checked yogurt recipe. I don't remember adding the evaporated milk - but it's been awhile. I also don't remember having an electric yogurt maker once back in Canada - but I found the bucket one. From you kids? Or my sister, perhaps. Anyways, if you can't find an electric one, which is the easiest for controlling the temperature, then let me know & I'll send this one on to you. I had to wash & bleach it out, so I must have used it - made so much when you kids were younger, perhaps I couldn't figure out temp on this one. It's a thermal bucket - insulated with styrofoam - so you must have to heat the mixture, watching with a thermometer, and then pour into bucket & insulate until set. (Instructions have gone missing.)
Sooo much easier with an electric one - takes the guessw0ork out of it.

Anyways, here's recipe.
Using blender, liquify 6 cups water, 11/2 cups of non-instant powdered milk, a large can of
UNSWEETENED evaporated milk and yogurt culture or 3 tablespoons of commercial yogurt or of the last yogurt made.
Pour this mixture into jars & set into electric yogurt maker or set jars into a large pan of warm water coming to brim of the glasses and kept at 105 to 120 degrees farenheit for about 4 hours or until it becomes the texture of pudding. (Can you set temperature of slow cooker? Perhaps that would work. If base of it ios metal, you might have to set something under the jars so temp isn't hotter on the bottom of the jar. Too hot kills the culture, of course.) Refrigerate.
Save some for next batch.
When John gets older, you can make yogurt popsicles! Mix with fruit or juice. Blueberries!

Sounds like a hassle but it wouldn't be, once you were set up to do it. And although the high quality non-instant milk poweder is fairly expensive, it would probably work out cheaper than buying commercial. The trick is to plan on being around to refridgerate after the four hours.

My book says trying to make yogurt with fresh milk is often unsuccessful. Also, remember that milk products lose nutrients when exposed to light. So, if you find a yogurt maker that has a clear top on it, cover with a towel for the four hour period.

Nice talking to you today. And for the record, I, too, am happy that you were able to retrieve the Cheerio! Good going! Mom

Anonymous said...

Oops. Wasn't sure it was on the blog - . These darned contraptions. Mom

Megan said...

I checked online - yogurt makers are still out there. I'll swing past one of our bigger health food shops to see if they have one. Actually, now that I see the snow drifts piling up outside, maybe I'll just call first. I ran the idea past Mike this morning - he said it sounded a little too hippyish. But it's not like he knows what I do during the day anyway, and he never looks in the fridge or does dishes, so it would be years before he found out. Besides, knowing him, he won't really care either way, as long as it means no work for him.

It all looks pretty easy, and better than hunting down this high fat yogurt, which doesn't seem to exist down here. Even the dietition admitted it's really hard to find - especially the plain kind - she could only find cappuccino flavour.

He's allowed to start everything with protien at seven - nine months or so - chicken, beef, beans, yogurt, egg yolk (no whites).All that stuff. His doc said to go slow though - absolutely no earlier than eight for John, just to play it safe. He couldn't even handle baby cereal until recently, after all. But then he eats the dried mud off of Mike's coveralls, and he's perfectly fine, so who knows if any of this stuff will actually hurt him.

So many rules! How did babies survive before now?!

Megan