Monday, February 14, 2005

He can crawl! (Kind of, a little)


Ha! Fooled! As my parents discovered, John likes to grab the spoon while he's being fed. It grew from just curiosity into a game - he laughs hysterically if you try to take the spoon back. I challenge him to grab the spoon, while he's already got one in each hand! Ha!Posted by Hello

John made a breakthrough last night! He rose up on all fours and crawled!!!! It was only for a few steps at a time before falling down, but it was pretty exciting to watch. Mike was home, so I called him in to see. He looked so proud. He can also creep on the hardwood all of a sudden, which is very, very scary. We put him on the floor while we watched TV. He knocked an empty pop bottle off the coffee tale, and started chasing it around the room. He'd bat it, creep up t it, bat it again, and so on. It kept him entertained for a good half hour. I guess we really need to babyproof.

Still no teeth, but they're both coming through at the same time. He has tooth buds about to break through for each, but his gums keep swelling to swallow them up. Poor little guy.

The flu is better, I think. He seemed to be doing well yesterday, but then threw up again this morning, so who knows. He's active and alert, with no fever, so I'm thinking he's probably feeling better.

He slept through the night last night! He hasn't done that in months! I wish I had slept all night. I went to bed late, and still woke up at 3, as usual. I think, at least I hope, it was the additon of lunch yesterday. I've been trying to add breakfast for a while, but it has been a dismall failure. He's only up for an hour or so in the morning, and even if he is willing to eat, it's rarely more than a couple spoonfulls. Lunch works out much better for him. I'll try it again today - hopefully this is the secret to speeping through the night again. I haven't had a good night's sleep in ages. Probably why I've been so sick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fun is about to start! While you're feeding John, don't forget to eat at regular times yourself. It helps to keep your energy level up and you're going to be bending, chasing, etc. At least you have a door to block off the stairs - he would be climbing those in no time! There are good baby guards now but the cats may not appreciate them!

Keep an eye on John's chest - ask the doctor to listen, if he keeps throwing up - he sounded congested when we were there. Remember, the secondary infection will often come after the first dose of flu or cold seems to be over. And if he's feeling lousy, TURN UP THE HEAT! Or dress him warmly...no, turn up the heat 'cause it's so hard to get warm once you get chilled. John is on the floor - and cold air & draughts are worse
down there. Remember the pocket doors?

Slept through the night! Well, suggestions from other Grandmas - try a 'snack' of pablum closer to bedtime, as well. Even a few mouthfuls.Then nurse him before heading off for the night.

Have a parcel to go your way - found a few bigger clothes for John plus Mike's wallet and the article for you to see. I'm home today - a day off ...my Valentine present... although I just needed to catch up on household stuff. Guess I better cook tonight!

Good to hear that your job will be lighter!

Better go. Mom

Megan said...

I know, I know, turn the heat up. It has been kept much warmer these past few days, though I've been sick too, so it's hard to tell if it's warm or not. I've been giving him a warmer than average bath before bed lately, and he's really loving that.

The full night's sleep was a fluke after all. I gave him two big, full meals, and I always nurse right before bed, but he still woke up in the wee hours of the morning. Very frustrating, especially considering he used to sleep through just fine. Maybe I'll try the baby cereal snack before bed, like you said, and see if that helps.

You still have Mike's wallet? That's neat - he sure will appreciate that!

Megan