Wednesday, January 05, 2005

An update on Mike


Fishing for John Posted by Hello

John is napping - if he's awake and feeling happy in a couple of hours, we're going to head to a Parentlink meeting. It's run by public health for families with babies under a year. You bring your baby, and every week there's a new topic, often with a guest speaker. The babies get to check each other out, giving John another chance to socialize, so we figured it was probably a good idea.

He's definitely his father's son, Bruce. The program is pretty kooky, though, so I can he why he was laughing. I sung one of the songs for Mike last night, and he almost blew chili out his nose.

Sing this to the tune of Bingo:
I love him and he loves me, and Daddy is his name-o
D-A-D-D-Y, D-A-D-D-Y, D-A-D-D-Y, and Daddy is his name-o.

Speaking of daddy, I thought I'd better give an update on Mike's investigation at work - it actually concluded a while back, but I never updated it. As you'll recall, he broke down a window so a damsel in distress, who had locked herself out, could get back into her house, which turned out to be rented.

Well, turns out, it wasn't her landlord who complained at all - it was her live-in boyfriend, who was in the hospital at the time. The landlord fixed the window, but told them they'd have to pay for it (obvously). Well, they're both on welfare, so they couldn't afford it, so they called Mike's boss, telling him that Mike broke the window, completely omitting the part about how the girl had actually asked him to do it.

The company decided to pay the damages, but asked Mike to head over to the house to get the bill. He was told to pretend he'd have to pay it out of his paycheque, in the hopes that putting a human face to the thing would make them feel guilty, and drop it.

They felt guilty alright, but they're still on welfare so couldn't afford to pay. They agreed to split the bill 50/50 with "Mike." So, Mike was supposed to bring the bill to his manager, who would give him cash to take back to the couple, to make it look like Mike was paying for it himself.

However, Mike was already so embarrssed by the ordeal, that he decided to pay it himself, so the company wouldn't be any more involved than necessary. Apparently, if there's no cost to the company, a report isn't filed for the incident - which I don't believe, but he insists is true. He was worried that if a report was filed, he would become a "hypothetical" situation for training sessions and health and safety meetings for years to come. I think he's already entrenched himself in company lore, whether there's a report or not, but he felt pretty strongly about paying it himself, so that's what he did. It came to about $100, which I guess isn't too bad.

No comments: