Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Doc update and other stuff


John's ornament got packed away yesterday - my parents sent this print of one of his photos, so we used it for the centre. Posted by Hello

Saw Doc West yesterday. All is well - John's still a big little guy. He's 71 cm long - I think that's about 28-29 inches or something, and just over 19 pounds. He was too rushed to convert it exactly for me, and I can't remember how many hundreds of grams he was to convert it myself. The clinic closed between Christmas and New Year's, so now they seem to be playing catch-up. The waiting room was packed, and he was in a hurry, despite running perfectly on time.

I asked him what we're supposed to be doing about solids. He said not to take it too seriously. As long as he's getting several different things over the course of a week, we're doing it right. As for amount, he said just to give him whatever he wants. He said as crazy as it sounds, if he wants a whole banana, give him a whole banana, though maybe stop at half a banana and switch to something else for the sake of variety. I told him about how John just doesn't stop eating, which made him chuckle. He said just keep feeding him until he becomes ill, if it comes to that. Throwing up is my cue to stop. He also commended me for making John's food from scratch. I got two thumbs up, which felt pretty good. I also mentioned how his skin has become very sensitive now that he's older, and he says that's normal - especially for a redhead. He said with most babies that lily white, you just have to look at them the wrong way, and they break out in a rash. He's become so sensitive, zinc oxide actually causes a rash. It's a pain, but given his dad's skin, I guess it was inevitable. I just wonder why it was always so easy to keep clear before.

He said again not to worry about the lack of extra iron in the cereal he can't eat. As long as John is breastfed, and not getting any formula, he'll be alright. No plans to stop that anytime soon, so I guess he'll be OK. Mike did launch a bitter but doomed campaign to get me to switch to formula a couple of months ago. I don't know if he was sick of listening to me yelp everytime John bit me, or if he was feeling left out. His main arguement was that John and I had "become too close," and were "bonded too strongly," whatever that's supposed to mean. I thought bonding was a good thing. Regardless, John rarely bites anymore and Mike gets to do solid feedings whenever he's around for then, so the formula issue has faded away.

We took in Baby rhyme time this morning. It was pretty interesting. Everyone needed a nap this week, so we had a room full of crabby babies. All except John - he was literally laughing through his yawns. They brought some ECE students from the local college in to observe this week. I was sitting beside one, and John was head over heels for her. As the other babies were nodding off to the lullabies, John was jumping around, belly laughing, while holding onto this girl's fingers. She was thrilled, and he had a blast. I just wish she had trimmed her nails. Why would an ECE student wear long false nails when she's going to be around babies?! She could have taken an eye out with those things! The teacher kept laughing at John - she says he's going to be the life of the party when he's older. While every other baby was nodding off and glazing over, there was John, bouncing like a wildman. Yup, that's my boy. (Sound like anyone else you guys know?)

Tomorrow is baby CPR and first aid. Mike has the day off and will probably be able to come along. Though, able and willing are two very different things. He hasn't got much bounce left in him these days. I'll be shocked if he gets out of bed.

The tree is on its way down. I stripped the decorations yesterday. Mike just has to get it to the curb by tomorrow morning at 7. Any bets on whether it'll make it on time? You just might get to see our tree in person, Mom and Dad - and anyone else who treks here over the next few months.

No comments: