Monday, January 03, 2005

John's new trick


Taking a stand Posted by Hello

You can thank Mike for this daredevil new pose. He likes to put John in this position as I'm coming up the stairs, then hide behind the dresser, so I walk in and see this. He puts pillows on the floor around him, though, in case he lets go.

Mike is convinced John will be cruising before he's crawling, so gives him lots of opportunities to walk around. He hasn't taken a single step like this, though. He's too busy hanging on for dear life. I still think he'll crawl first. He's been working towards it most of his life, and he's getting so close. I'm thinking the nursery rhyme program we're booked into will inspire him a little. There will be lots of people his size there, and many will be crawling age. He's such a little monkey, I think if he sees other little people like him crawling, he'll want to do it too.

I'm not looking forward to the program. Ten weeks of sitting around in a circle singing nursery rhymes is really not my thing. I was thinking of cancelling our registration, even though everyone raves about this program; there's even a waiting list at some centres. But after seeing John's reaction to that little girl at the store, I know I have to get him into something where he can see other babies, even if it causes me to writhe in the hokeyness of it all. We start tomorrow. Wish us luck - every baby program is scheduled for John's regular naptime, but I'm hoping the sheer excitement will keep him in a good mood for the whole hour. His first social event with his peers...whatever shall he wear?

P.S. We started on oatmeal last night. Not baby oat cereal - the real thing. So far, so good. No rash, no gas, he's sleeping well and in a great mood. It's not his favourite, by any means. He really didn't like it at all until we added a little banana to it. Even then, not a huge hit. But hey, he ate it without gagging, which is good enough for me.

No comments: