Visiting with Gran and Gramps P
John (and the rest of us) had some company - my parents came for a visit. They were here for a few days before heading to TO for a few trade shows. They'll be back next week, before heading home. They babysat for us for a very long afternoon, which we really appreciated. They looked a little weary by the time we got back, so I felt bad, but it sure was nice to have a few hours away from John. He enjoyed the visit too - especially munching the strings on Mom's hoodie. We got a new highchair for John, and my parents got it broken in, feeding different foods to John. Sweet potato is still a huge hit. Carrots, not-so-much. Even the former favourite of squash pales next to sweet potato. He actually spit it out. Thankfully, he still likes banana. It's the one thing that never goes out of style.
John figured out that if he blew rasperries with his mouth full of food, he could make my parents laugh. He played that game for a good five minutes, and it was so obvious he was doing it just to make them howl.
We got him a few new things to try over the next few weeks - peaches, apricots, peas and green beans. I'm thinking the peas and beans won't be very well-liked. Maybe I can mix them with banana, and he won't notice?
We tried John in the big crib last night. He took it pretty well. He woke up screaming a couple of times, but fell back to sleep easily each time after a quick cuddle. I think he was scared waking up in a new bed in a new room. We slept in the nursery with him to make the transition easier for everybody, and I think it helped. It helped me at least. He's been napping in the crib today too, and is doing very well - settling fast, and sleeping soundly.
In other news, we finally ate the perogies. Turns out they grow when you boil them, so I actually made a pretty huge amount of food. I only cooked about a third of them, and we couldn't finish them all at one meal. Mike said - after days of watching me roll, fill and pinch - that they were the worst homemade perogies he's ever tasted. But only the worst in that they were textbook perfect - they tasted like commercial perogies, which I guess isn't that bad a complaint. I guess he's used to his moms, which have more flavour. On the upside, he said, even though they were the worst homemade perogies ever, it was by far his favourite meal in a long time. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if that was actually a compliment after all.
He said if the strike goes ahead, he'll help me make a batch. Speaking of the strike, it has been temporarily averted. Midnight tonight was the deadline, but the company went back to the table with two new negotiators just this afternoon, and the union feels that things are sudenly looking very positive. So, everyone's on alert for a strike to be called at any minute, but until then, they're doing work to rule instead. All that means is not accepting overtime hours until further notice. So, there may not be a strike after all. Or, there might be one in the next few days. It all depends on these new negotiations. But, new people at the table and good vibes from the union leaders are both very good signs. I'll keep yo posted.
3 comments:
Strike news sounds great, maybe it will be like Danny in Newfld as this mornings' news said he got the off shore oil royalties for the next 8 years. I think the removal of the Canadian flag from all buildings did it. I don't know how they can afford a strike with all the work Mike has to do. Bell can't afford all the problems as there are other services available in Hamilton.
Do you watch Rick Mercier on TV? If you haven't yet give him a try - Monday evening CBC. He does a good job of righting the wrongs of a lot of things. His main target used to the Americans but has changed to our prime minister.
Finally talked to my mechanic this morning. He's teaching at the high school as well as running a garage. Told me that the PBS (special brakes) need replacement & he'll contact Spadoni at Schreiber on Monday as I was the second car with warrantee problems.
Am still patting myself on the back for taking that 6-yr/ 100,000 km warrantee.
The temperature is very good to-day so we'll be walking.
Bought an anti-barking collar for Mac but think I'll save it till later. It looks like a stone that will be hanging around his neck - poor baby.
Sure nice to be able to pullup John's journal on command.
Feeling great down to only one blood pressure pill & no more cunamin - oh happy day as that means no more trips for lab at the hospital.
The weather in Dryden is still good for Gord's walk - imagine Bruce on the road at 6a.m.. He tells me the money is rolling in. I sent his request for donations for Cancer to my email list & one of my cousins tells me that his cheque is the mail. Mine is still on the kitchen table but will move to-day.
Let me know if/when the meat arrives. I didn't insure it but Marylou told me to keep the receipts as I would at least get the shiping charges back (said with a chuckle.
Time for another cuppa coffee.
Love to you all
Gram
Who the heck are those two people with OUR grandson? (Sorry - the envy is showing through, isn't it.)
All the best to your folks and I hope they find some neat stuff at the Toronto shows.
Hope the strike threat resolves itself. Sometimes, things have to reach the eleventh hour to be resolved. Remind Mike to keep his mouth zipped and try to fly 'under the radar.' Difficult, I know.
Would you like Alice's world-famous recipe for perogy stuffing?
Paw-In-Law
*sigh* That Michael. All I can say is that you are a better person then I am with perogies. I don't have the time to try and make them by hand even though my fav. type isn't sold in stores.
If it makes you feel any better Billy and I made our first home made lasagne last night. It started out with us saying how good it was and then trying to figure out what we would need to make it better. It's a HUGE amount and I kept joking that we should invite you and Mike over to help us eat this sucker as it takes up an entire row in the fridge!
I look forward to hearing what other types of food John does/doesn't decide he likes. If he loves sweet potato he has very good taste! ^_^
Vicki
Post a Comment