
John out for lunch with Grandma and Grandpa W, when they visited on Friday. This reminds me freakishly of Mike - he built creamer towers for years after I met him. Thankfully, he's outgrown it. John, on the other hand, probably has a few creamer tower years left in him. (Apparently, he made it five high at its peak.)

John's doing great! He had a fun day with Mike's parents on Friday, and they're planning to take him again when they come back through.
I took him in for a follow-up at the Doc last week - the ear infection is completely gone. Doc, as usual, seemed a little offended that I took him to a clinic, but it was a deadline day - I couldn't get time off that day, and what good does an after-hours on-call doc do for an infection? All he would have told me to do is exactly what I did - take him to a clinic right away. I guess I should make a point of using the on-call service at some point. It probably costs them a lot to be a part of it, and they need billable things to justify it.
Other than that, life is chugging along. John is happy, as always. I wish I had more time to spend with him. We never do anything anymore. The mornings are spent in a rush to get out the door. At night, he just wants to go to bed as soon as possible. On weekends, I'm usually working. He's usually with me, but it's not the same. Mike never sees him. John is always asleep when Mike gets home during the week - overtime shifts have started, and won't be slowing down anytime soon. The new division he was just trained for has a backlog of 800 jobs, and he's not even put there every day. He's still putting people back in service, and servicing people who've been waiting for months for a tech, or who had a scab service them, who made their situation even worse.
Most of the scabs are gone. The first wave to be let go didn't go without a fight. There were reports of vans with loosened wheels - even loose wheels on the private vehicles of regular workers. That seems to have ended, now that they're gone. The last of the scabs will be leaving at the end of the month.
On the political front, Mike and I are being pushed out of our board positions. I don't know why I'm so bothered by it. I've wanted to resign for some time, but Mike has begged me to stay on until the term ends, so I don't cause any disruptions. The end would have been in January, so it's not like I was robbed of oh so much time by being turfed this early. We both had planned to leave in January, and reassess what contribution we wanted to make, whether to join the federal board where we live, go provincial, or take a hiatus from politics entirely. I want to leave entirely - this just isn't a good time to be involved in anything like that. I want to run as far away from federal as I can until the next leadership review/convention. Provincial? I don't know. I like John Tory, but I've had enough of politics for a while.
What's happening is, Mike and I used to belong to our local board. It was a small board, with nice people, and it was part of a larger association, filled with more nice people. It was PC back then. It was a small party, filled with nice people.
Then, two things happened. First, the merger with the Alliance, then, the riding redistribution, which knocked us into the neighbouring riding. We knew both boards, but we enjoyed the company of this one and we were asked to stay, so we did.
It wasn't completely the same, and over the years, the people have changed. It just isn't fun anymore. We have this one guy who's been trying to get Mike out since January. He had wanted to be CFO, and pulled out this obscure, never-followed rule about how an out-of-riding person can't hold executive office. The board chose to ignore the rule for the time being, and elected Mike anyway, which I can imagine really frosted this guy off. I was acclaimed - no-one else wanted to be secretary, from in or out of the riding.
Anyway, the issue kept getting put on the back burner, until just last week or so. This guy wants the riding to be able to take credit cards. He has been very frustrated that it hasn't moved as fast as he'd like - but it's a large financial committment, and he can't expect the board to just rush into it. There has to be meetings, with reports, and debates, and votes. It isn't Mike's fault, but he's been taking it out on Mike, because Mike has been verbal against the idea. He just thinks $40 a month is too much money, and from the way the campaign team was talking (this guy is campaign manager), they only wanted it for one fundraiser.
It finally came to a head, because we had a special executive meeting to approve a cheaper version of credit card abilities - only $5 a month, instead of $40 - we approved it, but after the meeting had officially closed, a discussion began, started by this guy, about how we needed an AGM right away, because he wanted a team in place for the next election, blah, blah, blah. Our out-of-riding status was of course brought up, yet again. So, the regional guy, who was there for some strange reason, decided to crack down on our residency, and now we're out. Well, we can still be board members, but we can't vote. What's the point in that? We can be observers? Ooooooo...thanks.
Anyway, I was kind of relieved to be out - I've wanted out for months. But I want the credit card system we approved to be stopped, because it's a three year term, and a major financial committment for the board to take on. I just don't think it's fair for such a major decision to be imposed by an out-going member, so I asked the decision to be deferred to the next regular board meeting, and from the look of things, that's going to happen. This guy has another way to process crdit cards anyway - there was never a rush for this system. He's just a really impatient, impulsive person.
Well, this guy has the gaul to start e-mailing me! He waffled on about how this had nothing to do with us personally, how it had nothing to do with him at all - it was strictly a party constitution issue, and he hopes we stay involved. HOGWASH!!! He's been gunning for this for months, and everyone knows it. How is it that it happened just days after he insisted that HQ crack down on it? Coincidence? I don't think so.
If he'd just be honest, and admit that he wanted us out, and created a fuss so we would be thrown out, then I'd be fine. But no, he keeps insisting that I don't know what I'm talking about and that he had nothing to do with it. And then he starts telling Mike something entirely different!!! Apparently, this has been planned for months - that there were meetings with select board members to discuss it, and right before the board meeting, he had a "pre-meeting" with who, I don't know. I'm assuming the candidate and possibly even the regional rep, where it was decided that if we voted against the credit cards, he'd raise a fuss, and if we voted for it, they'd keep quiet, until Mike set it up at the bank, and THEN he'd kick up a fuss. However, he felt it was unfair to ignore the rules, just because we were going along with something he wanted, so he brought it up right away anyway. Wow - so principled. Who knows if that's true - he was still mad at us even after we voted yes, because we voted yes to a system he didn't want, and it was too late to use for a particular fundraiser he had planned.
I just wish he'd admit to me - not just Mike - that this was his plan all along, and it had everything to do with him, and not just a coincidence that HQ cracked down at the exact moment that he wanted it to.
AAARGH!!!!!!
In the grand scheme of things, it's so small. He's a horrible, vile troll of a man, who I've never liked or trusted, so I shouldn't be so offended he did this; this is what he does.
I shouldn't care. It isn't my business anymore - they've found someone willing to take Mike's job, and he seems OK, and someone will take my job, Mike will concentrate on Hamilton Centre until the AGM, and life will go on. I was going to retire in January anyway. It's just the way it happened, and all the lies and passing of blame that really has me furious. Argg!
2 comments:
Glad to hear that the infection is gone and John is doing well. The few times I was on the phone with the parents it sure sounded as though he was enjoying his visit!
…and people wonder why I stay out of politics?!
Sept. 22-05 1 p.m.
Just had a window salesman here, who's based in Timmins & is going to give me a deal on replacing all 14 windows. My decision was call me next year - this year I'm healthy & am going to continue as I started this summer. Always amazes me when you say CASH just how much the price can drop.
Sounds like you're being squeezed out of the conservatives of Hamilton. Does it really matter?
Politics really doesn't matter to those in Northern Ont. as it doesn't matter what party is in they kneel to s.ont & now with the restructure of the boundaries we'll probably have one riding for the whole of the province from the Sault north.
Last week I saw Doc. Teoh (the one who discovered my benign carcinoma & did the heart surgery in Hamilton the next year). He's happy & will see me next year, so I'm happy.
Next week I'm back to Doc Lai (heart specialist in TBay). His was an appointment I changed to later when I went to Nwfld with Mina.
I haven't talked to Vicki for a time. Usually think of her as I'm laying in bed at night, just before nodoff.
Went to a BDay party last Sat & it was great to see all the oldies. Everyone is deteriorating & when I showed the wedding pictures Martin remembered Vicki from Steve's funeral. He's no longer able to climb the hill to return to his camp & one of George's girls drove the 2 of them back to their cottage. Mac was pinned & bitten by one of the dogs present, which spoilt the party for me as we left shortly thereafter. He's OK & I didn't have to volunteer for dishes.
Have you told management yet about your pregnancy Meg? If it was me I'd wait till someone asked me - in 6 months or so.
Just got my new assessment of my house - up by $10,000. The municipal office says they'll get the printout of all assessments in Nov-Dec, so I'll check then. Finally went in to TD to talk to my investment counscellor. While I was away he & his girl left numerous messages on my machine. I'm making money which is good & he explained how he was going to move things around. I nod & try to make intelligent comments. I told him about the scam being played by Mom's insurance co. & finished my comment with "they're nothing but a bunch of crooks" to which he agreed.
The mice have started moving in for the winter & are driving Mac mad as he has his nose to the floor trailing their movements, then sits to wait for them to appear again.
I audited the books for the seniors' club & agreed to do the bingo audit as well.
Geo gave me a dozen bags of zucchini (scredded & 2-cup bags)& I made muffins yesterday. It's funny how zucchini grows & grows. Got my bill finally for the new back door & his labour was only $165, a bargain eh?
I'm sure I've told you guys most of this stuff already but I love to ramble.
A visit north again is a good idea Meg but don't drive. I can meet you in TBay & we can stay in a motel a couple of days before B & A pick you up. I can book rooms where there's a pool. Good idea eh & no car problems.
Enuff for now
Love - Gram
Post a Comment