Friday, September 30, 2005

It's alive!!!

Just a quick note - John and I both had doc appointments today. John's ear has healed. Again. And the baby is still alive! The doc was able to get a heartbeat with the little dopplar thingy. It was actually really loud! That's a huge relief. I joined an online pregnancy group as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and I'd say we've lost half our members. Some had miscarraiges, but for a lot of them, the baby just died, without them knowing. So it's nice to know I've made it through the first trimester without that happening.

I was joking with Mike last night that I should request an "unassisted home birth." They seem to be all the rage these days. No doc, no midwife. Nobody. Just the woman in her bathtub, while her husband holds her hand. Not for me, thanks! It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Well, the doc had forgotten our discussion last time about how I wanted to deliver at Mac, with an OB, just like last time, so he asked again what I wanted. I told him about how we were thinking of scaring him by requesting an unassisted home birth. He just chuckled and said if I were actually wanting it, he'd be fine with it!!! Ack!!! He's very, very different from my last doc, who lectured me every month about the "granola people" who use midwives instead of OBs, or give birth anywhere but a hospital. And don't get her started on the masochistic freaks who "insist" on breastfeeding!

And then there were all the horror stories. Babies born alive, but without brains. Babies strangled by their cords. Moms who bleed to death on the delivery table. Yeah, I looked forward to those visits soooooo much. Much nicer this time around.

No comments: