Saturday, July 16, 2005

HE WALKED!!!!


We'll get back to birthday pics in a bit - I just think this is really cute. It's actually an old photo - those big leaves back there are pumpkin plants, and they've started to take over the lawn now. Posted by Picasa

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little over-excited. It was only two steps. Two very shaky little steps from one object to another, but it was walking gosh darnit! He's been standing by himself more and more often lately, and a couple of times, he'd taken a little shuffle with one foot, in a lunge to get to the next prop. This was actually two teetering little steps, one foot in front of another! I'm so excited I got to see his first steps afterall! Mike was in the room too, but unfortunately wasn't looking at the time. We tried to get him to repeat, and he did try, but it was more a step-lunge than a step-step.

Work is chugging along. Mike could be back to work sooner than we expected. Or not.

There's a strike vote underway. A tentative deal was struck, and the union advised the guys to vote yes. However, they did the whole thing very stupidly, which left a lot of guys feeling too angry at the union to accept it - including Mike. They put on a media blackout, which meant the guys wouldn't see the contract until minutes before the actual vote. Everyone was so happy they may be going back to work - the union said it was a good deal and everyone should be grateful for it. Then they saw the deal. It's not good.

So, things broke down a little. People started yelling, things were getting thrown, walls punched. And then, they went to the ballot box. I wonder how they voted. By the next day, a lot of them were regretting it, though. If the union had only shown it a day earlier, let them cool down a little before the voting, it would probably pass.

We're thinking it's still going to pass - the union wants it and they count the ballots in secret. I think you know where I'm going with that. The company seems sure it'll be a yes - Mike's pager has been re-activated. We'd prefer a yes - it comes with a $1,000 signing bonus, which we need more desparately than words can describe. We have bills out the wazoo and a trip just around the corner. It's not pretty.

One thing Mike is concerned about is a transfer clause. There is none in the contract. However, there was a letter sent out by the company stating that because they own Mike's company now, they have full transfer rights - in that they take internal applications before external, which will make it easier for him to move around in the company. True, it's not in the contract, but I'm not sure it has to be. I think it's more a company policy thing. Who knows.

John had his one-year check-up the other day. He' not growing terribly fast. He's only gained a few ounces since last time. The doc wasn't too concerned - said he's probably using that stored energy to go up, rather that out. He did get several inches taller- he's in the 97th percentile for height, and his head circumference is off the charts, which I'm assuming is a good sign. Only the 50th percentile for weight, though. Doc West said not to read too much into it, though. We'll check again in three months, and if he starts dropping off, he'll call in a pediatrician to assess him. Otherwise,it's just a phase where energy is going to other things.

The shots didn't go well. He was up all night screaming, and is screaming still. I guess it's to be expected - he's fighting offmeasles, mumps, chicken pox and meningitis, all at the same time. Hope it passes soon, though. He doesn't have a fever - he's just really crabby.

No comments: