Tuesday, June 29, 2010

why I should never shower...


Well, there's probably more compelling reasons TO shower than to NOT shower, even if it means leaving all the kids unattended, but some days I do wonder if the trouble is worth it. I usually come out to some sort of catastrophe or bitter battle, with everyone screaming. But sometimes, what they get up to is worth a picture, even if it's just to get a little sympathy from Mike at the end of the day.



I guess I should have fixed them a snack BEFORE I headed to the shower. Dave got his hands on the peanut butter jar, and dug in. Why he smeared it all over his body, I'll never know. What I didn't get a picture of was Joan, using her fingers to snack off his legs. Mike was 15 minutes from home when I walked in on this horror show - we were going to go to the beach. I managed to bath and change both kids in time, but I didn't have time to get the giant smears of peanut butter art off the walls.

Why they make couch pillows with free floating fluff is beyond me. Anyone can just unzip the pillow, for an indoor "snowstorm," which is what my kids thought was time well spent, during this particular shower.

Their rationale? Apparently, Dave started it. Funny - I don't see him anywhere. Do you?

On another note, today is John's last day of Kindergarten! He's a full-fledged Big Kid, heading into grade school in the fall. Getting him to his last day was somewhat traumatic, however. They decided to schedule a pyjama party on the last day - the kids were to go in their PJ's, and they were going to have a big pancake breakfast party. John, for all his creativity, can be extremely rigid about weird things - much like his dad. John intended to go to school ready for bed - as in, no underwear, no shoes. It caused a HUGE fight this morning between he and Mike, who insisted he wear underwear, or he was staying home. John, who's just as stubborn, insisted that wearing underwear with pyjamas is just weird, and refused. It was an epic battle. In the end, might made right, and John went to school in tears, because he had to wear underwear. The shoes were a whole other battle. By the time the underwear fiasco was settled, we were already horribly late, and I couldn't find John's shoes. I hunted EVERYWHERE, but they were nowhere to be found. He has a pair on indoor shoes at school, but he still needed shoes to get to the cloak roon, so he had to wear sandals to get there - over his socks. He was mortified. "Socks with sandals is just weird!!!" he wailed. "And my underwear is itchy!!!" He was so embarrassed, he hid behind me the entire way into school, and when other kids came his way, he'd "hide" by standing flat against the nearest wall. I feel for the guy, I really do. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, and socks with sandals isn't the end of the world! Hopefully, his whole life hasn't just been ruined by me, but I can see this one being brought up in therapy later in his life, for sure.

Better go. Ironically, I'm heading for a shower. Wish me luck - or at least wish for an entertaining picture.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: