
What a smile!

Well, another day off for Mike, another day of no daycare tours.
We were supposed to go yesterday, but Mike, who can't ever say no to anyone but me, made other plans. About a month ago, a Jehova's Witness handed him a pamflet while he was on his way out. He was nice to her, so I guess she took it as a sign of interest. As a result, a couple of church elders turned up on our doorstep to save our souls.
Mike let them come in.
Wow.
I never realized how many bible passages there are outlining exactly why I'm going straight to hell. Not just non-Jehova's in general - me in particular. And they found them so fast; it's like they have that whole book memorized. So, I guess I'm doing it all wrong. You should have seen their jaws drop when I told them I don't believe homosexuality is a sin, and am a strong supporter of same-sex marraige. No everlasting life for me! To add insult to injury, they got Mike to read aloud many of the passages condemning me to hell. Nice. Mike, of course was in "polite" mode, so they still think his soul has a chance. They said they'd be back to talk to him again. Good grief.
They actually waved the bible in my face. Both of them at the same time. I wish I had a video camera to record the moment. They actually thumped their bibles too. I thought that was just a saying. It actually happens, at least when faced with a satan worshiping heathen like me. I bet they're very concerned for John's well-being. I wonder if he's on their prayer list yet.
Oh, apparently, the end is nigh. Thought I'd warn you.
Anyway. It was kind of fun to ruffle their feathers, but I think I'll find something more worthwhile to do for the next installment of Mike's conversion. He'll probably wind up joining just because he can't say no. (Unless it's me. No problem saying no to me. Maybe I'll tell him to join - then he'll say no.)
Anyway. So another day without daycare tours. Another day of growing waiting lists. Thankfully these aren't appointments - they have drop-in policies. You can check them out at any time, which is nice. You know the staff hasn't been warned, so you're more likely to see the real deal. However, we've kind of half decided that we don't want a cold, institutional centre after all. We're thinking we might explore the home childcare route. There's two licenced agencies in town, and the nurse pushed one way, way more than the other, so we're going to look into them too. It's easier to get a place in home childcare, and the thinking is, it will be more nurturing, because he'll be cared for by another mom. We'll look at both, though. We're still open.
John's doing well. We've started meat. It's so thick, it makes him gag, so I thin it out with a little water. Otherwise, it seems popular. He prefers beef to chicken so far. He's starting to eat a lot more these days. I'm pretty shocked how much food he can pack away now, especially considering he hasn't dropped a nursing yet. Still growing fast, I think. He's not chubbing up at all, but he feels more solid.
Anyway, I had better go. I have a bunch of political paperwork to do. It seems that party secretary actually means Mike's personal secretary. Hmm...I think I should inform Mike that if he goes Jehova's Witness, he'll have to give up politics and stop voting. I think that would end it right there!
6 comments:
Hiya! My friend Arthur had the absolute best way to deal with Jehovas Witnesses… EVER!!!
He would nicely invite them in for their little lecture and let them have their say, then he would try to convert them to HIS religion…
Did I mention that Arthur is an Ordained priest of the church of satan?
Worked every time! They usually ran screaming and I do believe he was doused with holy water on one or two occasions…
Barring that, I would suggest you try to sell them something. Tupperware, Amway, stocks or erogenous massage oils. Any of them would work and I am sure that they will happily disappear and never bother you again.
As I recall, from having a J.W. work for me for a couple of years;
- no politics, no voting
- no Christmas - no giving of gifts (no problem) and no receiving of gifts (hmmm)
- turning over 20 to 50% of your gross income to the church (not 'net,' but 'gross.'
I forget the rest, but I'm pretty sure most popular music, TV and computer games are....well....let's say 'not encouraged.'
On the other hand, I believe family responsibilities are pretty huge, so maybe it wouldn't all be dark.
Look at it this way - it could be the Mormons.
When do you go back to work, Meg?
P-n-Lw.
Hey strange men who've lived with Vicki,
That's pretty funny Billy - I'll have to keep that in mind. I wonder if I can find a little Satan statue for the coffee table before they come back. Maybe a few books - something like "Satan and You."
Hope you're feeling better, by the way. You probably had the same thing as me, Mike and everyone else in the western hemisphere. Even I'm stylish enough to have this year's flu - I'm sure you are too.
You guys should come over again! It looks like you'll be here for a while - if you're interested, let me know and we'll compare the schedules of those working schmuks we live with.
Hey strange man #2. I think Mike'd be too busy going door to door trying to save his soul to have any time for family responsibilities of any kind, so it would be all dark. There's three million Jehova's witnesses, but only 144,000 spots in heaven. The competition is pretty fierce.
I'm going back to work in early June, by the way. I left News4Kids June 1, the rest June 15. The former I can start from home, though.
Last I heard, you lost 70 pounds! Congrats! You must be finished now.
Mike sounds like Steve, when we were first married & I'm home with kid, he was leaving the house to to to work for 3 p.m. & the Jehovas were coming in. He welcomed them in with - "the wife will give you a cuppa coffee - I'm on my way to work - wud love to stay". He was still chuckling as he crawled into bed with me after his shift at midnight.
My procedure now is talk to them through the screen & say I have my own religion.
They strongly believe that you can't have blood transfusions & that's OK with me but their children have no choice when blood is refused. When they go for major surgery they pack their blood along with them but with accidents the doctor's hands are tied.
Glad you're not going back to work till June. Maybe by then your weather will not be our weather & you will have summer.
Woke up this morning dreaming of Mac & cats at your house - was fun.
I have had a dammed cold this week but the joy of being retired is you can lay around & cough. No flu, I missed the flu shots in 03 & 4 cause of the heart.
This was a week of phone calls con-cerning the stock in Manulife that my mother had. 4 people from one of the companies sent me forms to fill out (in my mother's name of course). They want to charge me $4.95 per share to advise Manulife - I do believe that's robbery. The most interesting is a guy called Laurie Pudas. He originally heard from that company because he tells me Pudas is not a common name & his sister Beverly in Toronto is the only Pudas in the phone book. He's offered to contact CIBC Melan Trust for forms & said not to have anything to do with the $4.95 co.
How do I get into these messes? This one is big bucks though.
Oh yes Meg, Norm visited yesterday & says he owes you a phone call. He's not Jehovah but dammed close.
Loved your "Arthur story" Billy.
Talk to you another day.....
GeeGee
Well, in lieu of Satan, might I suggest turning your house into a gothic cathedral? I know of a store where you can buy some gargoyles, as well as some dragons and such. Or you could keep some sugar cookies cut in the shape of little devils around for them, add red sprinkles and offer them with milk with red food coloring in it! Just a suggestion… don’t do what another friend of mind did and give them ex-lax brownies… that’s just cruel!
Howdy! Billy and I read the journal together, but I find I next to never type anything on it any more so I watch as he reads and giggle as he posts comments. We love the updated pictures of John and it’s a joy to see him changing even if we can’t be there to visit. This weekend would have been a great time to visit or see if you guys had wanted to come down. The only down side is that not everyone gets weekdays off the way I do, and I only get every second weekend off.
I’ll bet going back to work is going to be full of mixed feelings and emotions, however I’m sure the change of scenery will do you good.
As for the JW….*giggles* if you listen to most major religions we’re all going to hell based on one group or another, unless they don’t believe in hell, in which case they’ll be reincarnated as bugs for scaring the souls of the innocent people they condemned in their own homes. Religion and politics are the two worst argument starters in my mind so I figure if you can manage politics you can handle almost anything Megan!
~ Vicki
Post a Comment