Sorry - got so bothered by the daycare thing, i forgot to mention some of the biggest news! Mike is quitting smoking! Isn't that great!?
He started a few days ago. He's down to a quarter pack a day, and plans to slowly work himself off that. So far, it's going well. He usually tries cold turkey, but it doesn't work for him. he did the gum once, but that wasn't very successful either. This is the first attempt that he really seems excited about, so I think it'll stick.
Just don't mention anything about it to him - it's a sensitive time. I know what he's like and what stresses him, and too much attention about it would drive him back for sure. He just needs to work through it in solitude, without any pressure.
Gosh, this house feels lonely tonight! I spent the whole evening watching CPAC looking for Mike. He got caught up in the convention as wasn't able to phone as soon as he arrived. However, he's phoned several times since, so it's OK.
Thursday, March 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Feb.18-05
Your news is great - ie Mike trying to stop smoking. I've watched my friend Marj try, try, try & now at 72 she's using two puffers & one of these days will be using oxygen at home. I wish him luck. I quit cold turkey after many years of smoking. You just have to be stubborn & quit.
I just love your pictures, finally have the system worked out & am bringing them up quite easily. Always have one of your pictures tucked inside my purse so all have to see my gg son. There's not much choice when you have someone pushing them into your face, right.
A friend phoned this a.m. at 9 looking for a phone number & Mac & I were still in bed - me reading & he quite content to snooze along beside me.
The news from the Conservative conference doesn't sound very good to-day. Mike will be chain-smoking before he gets home. I've heard that the old guard are not interested in letting the young people into their ranks.
Had a haircut to-day & got no pity from my hairdresser when I complained about my hair falling out. She commented "your lucky that's all that's falling out". Her teenage daughter was home after going to TBay to have 5 wisdom teeth removed. She only had one that was visable but x-ray showed that the 5 were causing the other teeth to bunch up.
I ordered $50 worth of fruit & stuff for Aunt Nell & family as Archie's funeral is on Mon. I knew what I wanted to send to the house but had no idea how to do it. Ph'd A&P in TBay & the girl I talked to suggested a flower shop as A&P had no delivery & wouldn't accept Visa, people are nice.
I'll bet your bed seems very big with no Mike taking his 3/4s.
I'm still trying to access my union files. Another nice young man said he would give me another access no. & had no idea how I would be able to separate upper case, lower case & whether zeros or capital o. As it was then 3 p.m. he doubted they would be able to get the new no. out to me. I forgot to mention that our union looks after all our payroll records. I had rec'd a notice that listed Steve as my next to kin & the poor guy died in '96. Another OPSU mess up. I have patience.
My timer just went off - time to eat.
GeeGee
Hi Fav D-in-Lw
I think I saw Mike on CPAC last night, or a least a profile of a very similar head of red hair that looked freshly trimmed for the event. I'm sure he's wrapped up in the political in-fighting and is probably finding it a bit frustrating.
Don't worry about me saying anything to him about smoking. If there's one thing that I leaned in the fifteen or twenty aborted attempts before I finally kicked that particular habit, it was that no one else can do it for you and nicotine withdrawl makes a person very anxiouxous, nervous and - well - bitchy.
(Yeah, THAT'S been my problem all these years - nicotine withdrawl)
Kidding aside, that's a demon he has to conquer on his own and any sage advice from anyone will NOT be appreciated, unless it's asked for.
The Day Care Funding problem - WOW. I guess you can see why Alice chose to stay home once Mike was born. We could afford child care for one, but the second child would have eaten up every penny she made.
Does that particular Centre do a 'needs' test to determine your net income rather than gross income? Subsidies in Dryden used to be based on disposable income, which led to lots of double income families getting huge subsidies because of big mortgages and car payments, often paying less than people who were renting and walking to work! Alice doesn't know if it's still that way or not - she's not involved in that aspect of the Centre. However, it might be a good question to ask them.
I think you'll find that NOTHING will live up to your personal standards for care for John. You're a very loving, very involved Mom and you have that 'reporters-eye' for all of the picky little details. I know you'll find a good one for him.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Did anything ever come of the 'trip to Dryden' idea? E-mail and let us know, 'kay?
I have genealogy work to do, while I work throug a large bottle of Tylenol-3's. Good dentist Eichel and I had a bit of a session yesterday afternoon. Didn't want that tooth anyway (insert whimper here).
Love from up north...
P-in-Lw
Post a Comment