Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Another quick note


This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. She doesn't even fit that sleeper anymore. She doesn't have hair anymore either - it all got worn away, just like John's did. She just has a few tufts at the nape of her neck left. So the "guess that hair colour" game is on hold.

Things here are OK. Nothing really exciting to report. The Mac study was interesting. The researcher played a word game with John. He did ok, I guess. He was shown pictures in the 2-6 age category, but didn't know what a feather was, and couldn't pick out the man who was painting, and couldn't tell a cow from a goat and a horse, but he generally did OK, I think. It was largely a questionaire for me and mike, and they'll get progressively more complex as the study goes on. For Joan, they took a video of me interacting with her. But she was a bit fussy, so it was 10 minutes of me rubbibg her back, but the lady said that's useful to the study, too. They took a video of me doing my questionaire while I held Joan, which was a little strange, but they're the scientists. It's being done by the psychology department, obviously.

Joan's pediatric appointment is next Tuesday. The projectile vomit thing has definitely slowed down. She's still a big spitter, but not with any real force behind it. I was telling my mom that I'm worried it's a milk thing. I was drinking a lot of milk when she was really bad. Mike made fun of me, because I was going through a gallon every couple of days. I havn't been drinking much at all the last couple weeks, and she's much better. Hopefully, it's just a coincidence. I've met women who've had to give up milk while they breastfed, and I've always thought it was sad. I'd do it if I had to, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

We got a huge dump of snow last night. We just got the edge of a massive storm, but we got a ton of lake effect snow. Many of the cars on the street were burried right up to the hoods, because it was drifting as well. Mike managed to get out, though, because it was just fluffy snow. His school is the only one in the entire region open today, so he had to go. But he's not impressed. Even Mac is closed today. He said if people had actually gone to work today, the roads would have been very dangerous. But as it turned out, most people have taken a collective day off, so he had the highway to himself.

It's actually helped to keep the house very warm. The windows are caked in snow, so it's filled in all the cracks and gaps. No drafts today!

Jer is officially moving in April 1. He's taking John's room. When John starts asking for a room of his own, that arrangement will need to be revisited. But I guess it's fine for starters. We thought about giving him the attic, but that's where our TV is, and we think, in terms of sanity, it needs to stay there. That's where people go to escape in this household, because it's so far removed from the bustle of the main floor, and with four adults and two kids, we're all going to need a place to escape to now and then. But if Jer's here for three years, things will need to change. It would be a little strange to have John still in our room when he's going on 6. The photo manager at work does what we do - all of his kids started out in their bed. He told me they generally want their own room by the time they turn four.

John's doing great with his own bed. Every now and then, he'll crawl in with us in the night, but I'd say, 90 per cent of the time now, he stays put. He seems to even prefer his own bed now - he hops right in and snuggles under the covers when we take him up to bed. It used to be a screaming match every night, to get him to even touch his bed. We think he's started potty training, too. He usually has a tantrum when you point out the little floor potty, so I went with a new strategy. We pulled out the little kid toilet seat my parents got him. We put his little stool by the toilet, and pop the toddler seat on. He actually asks to go now! Nothing's happened so far, but it's sparked some renewed interest at least. Mike's grandma sent us some toddler underwear, and I've toyed with the idea of just switching him into them during the day. He hates feeling wet and poopy, so it might speed things up. I've met many moms online who've done it that way. But Mike thinks it might be a little too sudden, so we're going to give the new toilet seat thing another week or two, and see where he is. Maybe we'll just wait until after Mike's parents have come and gone - then we'll have a long stretch without any schedule interruptions, which might make it easier on him.

Well, I've got both kids awake now, so my few minutes of "me time" is over. I'm kind of wishing I'd used it to shower! Oh well! I'll get another chance, I'm sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what an Angel.

G-Alice

Anonymous said...

Wed.21st That girl is certainly growing quickly, will have to check the bargain store for more sleepers. That sleeper fit days ago. She isn't 2 mo. old till next Wed. I've been talking to V&B on windows messenger & to-day she told me that when she went to return to work she was told to go home the place in quarantined. How goes the battle of the fleas? We were completely snowed in with our first big snowfall last weekend, betw'n the guy I hire & the neighbours I was dug out before Main St. Hope you're well. Love always - Gram

Megan said...

Fleas are all gone - a blast of winter was enough to wipe them out. We never did spray. The can said it would stay as a residue for seven months - not a good idea when you have little kids crawling around on the floor, in my oninion.

She still has a few things that fit - she still fits the sleepers you sent,Gram, but they'll be in the next-baby box within the next couple weeks, I bet. If anyone happens to be out shopping for her, she generally fits the 6-month size, with a little room in the toes for growth. Scary! I gather she's really tall, as well as heavy. The doc showed me where she fits on the growth chart, and she's right off the chart for height, as well as weight.

Megan