Thursday, October 07, 2010

let the mess begin!!!

Sorry I haven't been up here much. We're having some technical difficulties with our laptops - only one power cord for two laptops, and one is required for Mike's job, so I get left without during the day. And I just don't have the energy left to blog at night. I'm on the main computer now, which in treacherous, with all the little fingers itching to press all the shiny keys. And I have no pictures on this computer right now. But Joan is off singing Frere Jacque to Tom, and Dave is playing, so I have a couple minutes.

BUT - we hit a milestone today, and I just had to share! Tom has been very fussy lately - unable to settle and has been sleeping poorly at night. I'll feed him and he's just never really satisfied. In desparation, I almost gave him a bottle of formula just to fill him up, but thought no - he's almost 6 months old. He might just be ready for food! It had been a few weeks since I tested his tongue reflex, so I decided to retest with a jar of carrots - the only baby food I had sitting around the house. (We generally make our own baby food, but usually keep a small stash of the commercial stuff, too - it travels better, because it's sealed, and is good when time is short and the baby needs to eat right away.)

I wish I had a video of his reaction! It was like he instictively knew it was for him. He immediately started squirming and grunting, and reaching for the jar. I opened it up and he started making these really wierd squealing noises, and when I put a spoonful within his reach, he grabbed it and rammed it fullspeed into his mouth, swallowed and opened up wide for more! He ate half the jar with great ferocity, but grimaced with every bite from the taste. All the while, Dave was trying to stop me, screaming "No Mom! No!!!" He's always so eager to share his food with siblings, including Tom, and has had it drilled in that the baby isn't allowed to eat. And of course, there I am feeding the baby- the ultimate no-no. But I'm really excited! That pesky reflex is long gone, and now we can start a whole new chapter - just in time for Thanksgiving! (An excellent arguement to add sweet potatoes to the menu, I think.) I'm going to the store to pick him up some cereal now. Maybe now I can spend my nights sleeping, instead of endlessly feeding a starving baby!

No comments: