Thursday, September 09, 2010

Joan's in school!

I'm so happy for Joan - I snagged her a spot in preschool! It's the one right in John's school, which is pretty convenient. I always thought it was a french school, but on the cover of John's newsletter, they placed an ad, saying they still had spots, and that it's english, but a gentle introduction to french immersion. So she'll learn a few french words of everyday things and learn a few french songs, but it's not like John, where the teacher just babbles on completely in french. How he understands it, I don't know. Her class is perfect - it's for 4-year olds only, and is focused on K readiness, so they have a more academic curriculum than daycare, and they're willing to overlook the lack of potty training. I just have to send her in pullups, and if she poops, I have to go change her. They admitted they hadn't had a special needs kid in a while, but were really open to figuring out ways of helping her keep up, and having her therapists come in and show them stuff. The age cut-off is Dec 31, so she'll be the youngest kid in the class. It'll make everything that much harder, but it will help her in the end, we think. We hope so, anyway. We figured we'd better get on this, because in BC, next year is her K year, and she needs help getting ready! Thankfully, BC is getting all day everyday K starting next year. She'd qualify for it anyway, with the diability status. But now we don't have to fight for it, or jump through any hoops - she'll just get it. And hopefully, this will give her a little leg up once she gets there. It's a big load off my concience! And I've already let her therapist know - she was so excited! In BC, preschools are required to work with the therapists, and they put together an IEP of sorts, so the teachers help support the therapy every class. I'm looking forward to next year - John and Joan will both be full day every day, and Dave will be old enough for half day preschool! It'll just be Tom and I. Though by then I'll probably have a fifth. So it'll be me, Tom and let's call him...Quincy...or maybe Quinton.

As soon as I had confirmed her a spot, I told Joan that she'd be going to school again. She was so excited! She zoomed off and asked John to get her pink backpack off the bookshelf. He did, and she put it on herself. Then she ran back to me, threw up her arms and pronounced "OK! I all ready a go!" She was pretty upset when I told her it wasn't until the next day. She refused to take her bag off until bedtime. And first thing the next day, it went right back on!

John's really excited that she's in the same school as him. He keeps asking if they can meet at recess to play. He was sad when I explained that the preschool has a separate playground, because the kids are so little. But he likes the idea of her being just down the hall from him, nonetheless.

John's enjoying school so far. His teacher is new to the school, and it's only her fourth year as a teacher, so she's fairly young. I was worried out her with John's tendency to walk all over soft teachers, but after John's description of his first day, I think she'll be alright. She laid down the law! It sounds like she spent most of the day drilling in the classroom rules, and the consequences for not following them. His old K teacher WAS moved up to grade 1 in the end, so I'm glad he got the new teacher. He likes it too - he says it's good to do different things and do things in different ways. She has her BSc, but her Bachelor of Ed is in art, drama and music, so she could be an interesting teacher. We'll see!

Mike started school yesterday, too. He found a couple courses that fit really well around his work schedule. He hasn't said much about it yet -  most of the conversation around the table revolved around the kids' days, so his day didn't get a chance to come up. But I'm sure he'll talk about it tonight - he has another class today. I think one is fluids, and the other is electricity and magnetism or something - both Physics.

Anyway, better go! I'm making cabbage rolls for dinner, and they're a little on the time-consuming side. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you've got three of your kids in school again (gentle 'dig' there, eh? Couldn't resist)
House is still too darn quiet. Anytime you want to load one into a box with some air holes, I'm sure Greyhound will deliver.
Keep us posted....it's great to read the comings and goings again over morning coffee!

Paw in law

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Bruce, love reading the news with morning tea this morning! I had to read it to Ben tonight. We are happy for Joan too! That is awesome for her, the other nice thing is she'll make those social connections with kids before going into kindergarden. It will make the transition to full days a lot easier too.

-Auntie Pam