Saturday, May 09, 2009

for your viewing pleasure...

Happy Mother's Day! To my mom in particular, but to all moms too.

In keeping with the holiday, I took some videos at John's Mother's Day concert at school on Friday. They're a bit dark and a bit wobbly, and I wished I had kept rolling between every song, because as you can see, that's when the real show was. What you miss between the videos is John running up to me, pointing to his nametag (from the hospital playroom, where he had been that morning - he always refuses to take them off for school) and announcing, so all could hear " Mom, look! It's me! your John!" and then scurrying back into position. And sadly, you missed my big welcome to the room. As soon as he saw me, he threw his arms out wide and pronounced "Surprise! Happy Mother's Day!" Afterwards, one of the moms came up to me and said "your son is such a wonderful performer!" He had actually announced a couple weeks ago "Mom, I would LOOOOOOOOVE to be an actor! I want to star in a movie!" When I asked him what kind of movie he'd like to make, he said "Watch, I'll show you" and proceeded to do a round of his wild ninja moves, followed by a stint as Wall-E. So, I guess a "Kung-fu Wall-E" kind of premise. The city offers acting classes for little kids here, but sadly, they fill up fast, and all were full when I checked. They get to dress up and put on little performances for the parents, which he would probably enjoy a lot. He tends to upstage...everybody. But he would have fun. Now I know where to find them. Hopefully this fall, I can snag him a spot.

It was a fun little party. They made us fruit salad and punch, and we got our presents. They made us handprint cards which were really cute. I also got a handmade card. Inside, he drew himself - a big smiley face. On the front he drew...Tarkus. I imagine the only people reading this who knows what that is are Bruce and Adrian. For the rest of you, Tarkus is a creature which is half tank, half armadillo, and is the subject of a 70's album by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They wrote this horrific rock opera-esque thing about it, and in the album cover, give a pictoral life story for it, including its birth from a fiery volcano, all the battles with other half animal, half machine, freak creatures, its eventual defeat at the hands of a half monkey half scorpion thing, and its retreat into the sea, where it transforms into, naturally, Aquatarkus. Anyway, Mike has been able to dust off his old record player, and has this album. He showed it to John, and ever since, John has been obsessed. Move over Wall-E. It's pretty entertaining. The John version of Tarkus has infinite possibilities. When John helps me clean, he becomes Garbagetarkus - half tank, half armadillo, half broom and half trash compactor. He's 200 per cent of...something.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the videos, and I'm sorry they aren't of better quality. It was tough with the little camera, in such a crowded spot, with a toddler hanging off me. But it's definitely more entertaining than stills.

here's the youtube links - in case you have trouble here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lZvk3beObw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iPbnLpIEJw

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sun. a.m. Thanx Meg. Happy Mother's Day - Gram

Anonymous said...

How did two soft-spoken,kinda shy children grow up and produce....John?

He is a one of a kind.

Thanks for the video - made our evening!

Todeskaefer said...

Does Mike have Brain Salad Surgery on vinyl too? It'd be interesting to see what John's reaction would be if you showed him the front cover to that

Megan said...

Hey Adrian. I just asked - he, in fact DOES have that one. He showed it to me...very um...creepy. He explained the pictures to me, but I don't think John would exactly understand, so I'm thinking it will just stay on the shelf for a loooong time.

Todeskaefer said...

H.R. Giger did that cover. It's one of his early masterpieces