So here goes....

Yup - I'm pregnant!!! Yay!!!
This is actually an old ultrasound, from 11 weeks - I had one last week, but all the technician could get were bits and pieces. I didn't really feel like posting a photo of...legs. In fact, the baby was so unco-operative for the second ultrasound, I have to go back and do it again in the next week or two - it was moving so much, they couldn't lock in a few of the measurements.
I'm just about halfway - I'll cross the magical 20-week mark this weekend. After that, if I go into labour, there's a chance the baby can be saved. It's a small chance at first, but it's still a big comfort.
The due date has been set at September 20.
So far, the pregnancy has been very smooth. We had a few nervous weeks between the first trimester symptoms fading, and the kicks being big enough to feel well. There have been other things stopping me from announcing this earlier. I was going to post this last month, after a doctor visit, because he should have been able to get a heartbeat. But he didn't have a dopplar, and it was too early to pick it up by stethescope. So then, i decided to wait until the ultrasound - it's the big 18-week one, where they can see potential problems arising. But I had one of those technicians who won't say anything, which can mean either, they just won't say anything, or there's something horribly wrong. So again, it went on hold. But yesterday, I had a great doctor's appointment, and the doctor I've been referred to for the rest of the pregnancy assured me all is well, and everything they were able to capture is normal and growing right on schedule. She had a hard time finding the baby with her dopplar, but caught it for a few seconds - long enough to confirm all is well so far. It sure is a wiggly little worm! Now that it's bigger, I feel it wriggling constantly, which is great! I went weeks trying to entice it to move, with orange juice and chocolate. In the end, we discovered it loves spicy food! The first big, unmistakable, definitely-not-a-gas-bubble kick came when we were watching a Calgary Flames game, and eating very spicy wings. Mike said "It must be a boy! It likes hockey and wings!"
John's excited, too. He calls it my Belly Button Baby, because it lives in my belly button. He imagines that it has a bedroom, filled with toys in there, where it rides around on a red bike, just like his. He says good night to my belly sometimes, and has even told my belly "I love you, Belly Button Baby." He's cute. He's in for a rude awakening, though. he really thinks this baby will pop out ready to play and jump and run, just like him. We're trying to get it straight, but I think the thought of another helpless screaming bundle, like Joan was, just doesn't appeal enough to sink in.
Anyway, that's the news! We'll keep you posted as it goes. Hopefully, it will all be smooth sailing!
5 comments:
Congratulations, dear friends! I'll check for updates all the time now! And keep my fingers crossed and hands folded for your baby :o)
Just got our second child March 9th, 12 weeks early this time. 1110 grams and 38 cm (hope you get the metric numbers...)
XOX
Silje
Wow. I'm almost speechless!
If your next child can hold off by a day he/she will share the same birthday as Billy! I didn't know you guys were still trying. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you this time around. *hugs*
Silje - thank you! Hope everything is going well with your daughter. I've been trying to follow on facebook, with online translators. The aren't very good, but sometimes, there's a phrase or two it understands!
Vic - we WEREN'T trying. A third was always in the plan - possibly even a fourth - but I got pregnant within days of me moving to Calgary, so there was no time to discuss or plan anything! Just...kinda happened. A "happy accident", like John. Not the most responsible thing for us to do, really, with Joan not being able to move around on her own and all. But I'm hoping with enough physio she'll be up and walking by fall, so I'm not carrying two babies! Should be an exciting adventure! Not sure how three will work. Most people these days stop at two, so I'm already feeling a bit freakish. Hopefully, John will rise to the challenge and help me out with things. And I'll definitely see what I can do about holding off that one more day!
Megan
Mom told me about this a while back, so this is old news to me. Anyway, congrats
We kept the secret!! We knew and we told NO ONE! YES! We...ok....I can keep a secret.
Free at last, I shall now tell the world.
Phew.
Kidding aside - love to all from back home.
Paw in Law
Post a Comment