Woohoo!!!!
It happened yesterday. I was cooking dinner, and John scooted past, headed for the bathroom. Not an uncommon thing, now that he's peeing in the toilet. But a minute later, he came back, all excited, and squealed "Mom! I did it! I made poop! Come see!!!!"
And sure enough, in his potty was a poop!!!! Woohoo! Of course, then he treated me to the play by play: "I sat down and I squeezed and I squeezed and I squeezed until it was there!"
Until that moment, John insisted on pooping in a diaper. If he didn't have one on, he's insist that I put one on. In Edmonton, he got into the habit of pooping in a diaper, leaning over the toilet, which I thought was progress. But this was a huge leap! I'm so proud!
I think it was inspired by a little incident that took place as we headed out of Edmonton. I had put a diaper on him for the trip, and then, as I was packing the car, he pooped in it. We kind of had to get out quick, because the guy was already there to collect the keys, and he was wearing my last diaper anyway, so there wasn't a whole lot I could do. So he had to go to the car all poopy, and he absolutely hates sitting, let alone being strapped into a car seat, filled with poop. To make matters worse, I then had to haul him through a pharmacy to pick up more diapers, and he hates walking filled with poop. And then, I had to change him in the car, which was loaded with stuff, so he had to lay down on the driver's seat, while I stood outside, with the door open. Then I had to pull down his pants, exposing his nether regions to the biting -38 degree wind, while I wiped him clean. The whole time this was happeneing, he whimpered to himself "I'm a tough guy. I'm a tough guy."
Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant experience for him, and the whole time I reminded him if he'd used the toilet, this wouldn't be happening. And lo and behold, the next day, he used the toilet!
It's helping that the dipers they had at the pharmacy were all wrong. They have Mickey and Minney Mouse on them, which he despises. He thinks they're too babyish. He's still in diapers at bedtime, and he makes me put them on backwards, because he hates the mice so much. Mike got a kick out of that one. He rightly said if you're old enough to have a preference, you're too old to wear them. But he's very close to being fully toilet trained. Unfortunately, he doesn't much like underwear, either. He says they're scary, because they're too different. But that's just a matter of getting used to them, I think. Not sure he's ready for underwear at nighttime, though. He's woken up dry now and then. I guess if I just go cold turkey on the diapers, he'll learn to hold it overnight, right? I have no clue.
Anyway, better go. Lots to do today. I have lots of errands to run, and I'm trying to get John to the YMCA in time for a preschool open gym time that sounds like lots of fun. He says he doesn't want to go, but I know once I get him there, he won't want to leave! I'll try to download that camera tonight, too. I haven't posted a picture in too long, and I have a whole bunch of them in there.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment