Wednesday, July 04, 2007

this and that

Sorry - this is going to have to be a quickie.

Joan had her 6-month check-up last week. All's well! She's 70 cm long, and just under 19 pounds. At this age, John was 71 cm, and just over 19 pounds, so he's actually surpassed her in size, just barely.

Doc said she looks great, and commented that she's got very good head control. The murmer is almost gone. He said it's so soft, he'd class it as an innocent murmer. If he'd heard it that soft when she was born, he wouldn't have sent her to the specialist. He gave her a bunch of shots, and sent us on our way.

We've kind of started solids with her. She's finally stopped pushing everything out with her toungue, and is swollowing most of what we give her. Her favourite food so far is mint chocolate chip ice cream. I know, I know. Bad mom. But she seems to have this instinctive pull towards ice cream. Whenever we eat it, she gets all excited, grabs my spoon, and pulls it with all her might towards her mouth. If I don't give her any, she gets all sad. She does the same with mashed potato and banana, though, so there's hope for a healthy diet yet. She's had sweet potato, too. Didn't like it at first, but after a few spoonfulls, was opening for more. Though, that might have just been peer pressure - John thought it looked pretty good too, so he'd grabbed a spoon and was shovelling it down right in front of her.

John's doing OK. We took him to the steam museum on Canada Day - they have train rides with miniature steam trains. He thought that was awesome. He announced that it was his favourite train. Then we took him to Chapters for a couple of new Dr. Seuss books. When we got home, he raced for the bag, dumped them all on the floor and said, with wonder, "Look! It's amazing!" We saw fireworks after that, and he liked them. He kept talking to them, tellling then to "stay over there. Don't burn mom!" He's become very protective of me lately. It's very cute. He races to my defence, which I think is great. Mike jokingly told me I was a bad mom one day - I think it was for letting Joan get to much sun. And John piped in "No! Mom not bad! You a good mommy!" If he spills something, or if something is broken - even if it's broken in his mind, like the 23 flat tires we've had since going camping - he often says "don't worry, Mommy. I fix it." If he can't fix it, he still comes to me for repairs, but it's the attitude that counts, and hopefully that one will stick around well past toddlerhood. Like, until he's big enough to hang drywall and stuff.

Anyway, lots to do! I'd better get going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww, that sounds so cute. I can’t imagine what meal time must be like there now with so many people under your roof! I’m glad to hear that John and Joan are doing well and that you’re all getting out and doing things.

Speaking of which, I wasn’t sure that you guys would be able to join us (what with the children and all) but did you guys want to join us for our trip to Ohio to the Ren fare? We’re leaving the Friday so that we can spend all of Saturday outdoors and enjoying all of the acts/music/etc. also it means that the trip home can be relaxing.

~ Vicki

Anonymous said...

Thurs.a.m. Just love your comments Meg - what did we do before blogs & email? Worked the hosp. gift shop for another & am out this aft for someone else. Golfed 9 holes after closing the shop & it was on the 2nd 9, remember going there? Izzy & I walked while the other 2 rode, on the way back across the highway I gave up & threw my clubs in the trunk & headed home. God I was tired, had a shower & died, of course hadn't eaten all day, but shud be able to get by with my stored fat. Mac threw up in bed & again this a.m., shovelled some milk of magnesia into him & intend to take him with me for this afternoon's hosp. trip. He's still the show of the afternoon at the hospital. I'm hitting the ball better & was on a high till the last hole, lost 2 balls after being the only one in the 4some who's drive landed over the water-rock stuff. There's always something to keep me humble. Nakina had 2" iceballs yesterday & we got it an hr after I got home, those women would have been drenched, glad I wasn't there. Always Gram