Friday, June 10, 2005

11 months and counting...


This is from a few weeks ago - he's way overdressed for today's weather. We got John a big bucket of Duplo at the Re-Use Centre. He won't build things with it yet, but he loves to tear apart things we make. Posted by Hello

John's seventh tooth has vanished - that's a first. It looks like the gums have swollen up enough to swallow it right back up! We've had a few sleepless nights here lately because of the teething.

John had a Doc appointment yesterday - it was just to get a booster. He's going to take his weight and measurements next month for his one year visit. One year already - can you believe it? He asked if he had started cruising, which he's been doing for months, and gave me a big thumbs up when I told him about standing unassisted. He's still only done it the once, but it counts.

The Doc is referring me to an endocrinologist or something to get my whole insulin issue fixed. He's going to do a bunch of tests next month and send them to someone who knows what they mean. Though, the most recent study I read said that just the diet and excercise is more effective at getting things levelled out than the pills. The pills also have lots of side effects, including depression and mood swings, which I can do without, thank you. Must get that diet back up and running. I did notice a big difference in how I felt - I just wish it didn't require so much discipline. That's something I just don't have.

The hunt for daycare continues. The lady I met was alright. She'll do in a pinch, I suppose. She's cheap and close to the paper. She owned a lot of sharp glass ornaments which will have to go. John seemed to like her. After a few minutes, he climbed right up onto her lap and played with her necklace, happy as a clam. She made him giggle with her funny sounds. John would probably do better in a home with other little kids to watch, but when she has them, she takes babies and toddlers to the Early Year's Centre to play almost every day, so he'd see kids there. Maybe not the best plan in this heat, or when it gets really cold, but a good idea on paper for sure. I'm waiting to hear back from the other centre, and one other home provider in the town. If we can't get there, I guess we'll take her. It's only for six months, and he did take to her right away so it might work out. The only thing that really worried me was that he started sucking his thumb while we were there. Not a big deal - it just means he's either hungry/thirsty, distressed or tired. I'm pretty sure he was just thirsty - he wasn't tugging my shirt like he usually does, but when I gave him something to drink later, he stopped. But she kept taking his hand out of his mouth and shaking it! He gave her this look, like "what's your problem, lady?" I don't have a problem with him sucking his thumb - to me it's a signal that he needs something, whether it be a drink or a cuddle. I'd rather he suck for a minute until I fugure out what he needs than have him scream his head off. Do you think it's a big deal that she did that?

On a happier topic, John's first birthday is fast approaching! We're trying to find a place that rents video cameras so we can record the event. It's a Friday, so I'll have to work, but maybe we'll have a little party in the backyard on Saturday. I have a baby-friendly birthday cake recipe, so he can even smear a piece of cake on his face! It'll be fun! Anyone willing and able to come is invited. Hopefully we'll have a video to circulate for everyone else.

The strike continues. Mike is very, very burned. He got some SPF 60 and some after-sun lotion to help. His forehead almost looked like it was about to blister up, but it was looking better this morning. He's growing a bit of a shaggy beard as well. It started as just laziness, but now he thinks it makes him look rugged and mean, to scare the scabs. He was thinking of just letting his face blister to add to the "scary" factor. I definitely think it would freak out some new recruit to have a big scruffy guy, covered in oozing blisters, screaming at him through the windshield. However, no dramatic effect is worth dying of cancer, so he's making an effort to save his poor lobster-red skin.

P.S. I stopped by to see my new boss after I interviewed the daycare lady. I have my own office! It'll be kind of isolating, but very cool at the same time. I've never had an office before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey kids and g-kid;

Wow. A year, you say. Hard to believe, eh? Wait for it - he'll be after the car keys before you know it, and NOT as a teething aid.

Mike - sunburned again?!?! Can you say 'skin cancer?' Don't mess with the sun, son. A beard. This I need to see a picture of. (Meg, your mission is clear).

Meg - congratulations on the new job. An office! OK, here's the plan. A tiny little play pen under the desk...smuggle John in and out in your briefcase. OK - get a suitcase.

Don't worry about the lady who will be babysitting for you. No matter what she does, she won't do it as well as you do - and I'm sincere about that. Don't expect her to do things precisely the way you do, 'cause she won't. If she can score 8 or 9 out of 10, you'll all be fine. Until the strike is over, I'm sure Mike will be taking care of John most days anyway, right?

Our love to all -

Gramps W.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Megan! Office's can be quite nice rather than sharing a work place with x-# of people. I miss working out of an office and into a ....closet. *laughs*

It's great being able to hear all about John and Michael from someone seeing as one is too young to type and the other, hum, well, you write so I'm happy!

Chin up, smile lots, and I'm sure everything is going to work out for the best for everyone!