
Fast asleep in his portable crib, while Mike hangs drywall upstairs.

Haven't heard anything more about the job. However, it does start next Monday, so we're expecting a call today or tomorrow. He had the interview, which he felt didn't go terribly well. It was one of those horrible "Tell me a specific example of....how you boosted the team...improved your company...etc."It caught him a little off guard. The second round is a reference check, so we're just waiting for them to call for his references. We've decided if he gets it, he's going to take it.
Drywall is going up in the back room upstairs. It looks really nice - even considering the fact that Mike doesn't seem to know what he's doing. They say you marry a man who reminds you of your Dad, but that's certainly not the case with Mike's handyman skills. I've lost count of the number of times in the last couple days I've said "my Dad does it this way..." He doesn't seem to appreciate the help, though.
John's OK. The drywall was hard on him. He had to sleep in a different bed, in a different room, away from the noise. For such a creature of habit, it was hard. Not to mention the many times I couldn't respond to his cries right away, because I was in the middle of carrying drywall, or something.
The doc appointment went well. John's growing perfectly. He's 76 cm long and roughly 22 pounds, buck naked. Still on the top end of the spectrum, so all is well.
He checked John's ears for me, but they're fine. He figured he's just got a touch of a cold - no big deal.
He gave him a shot. Health Canada just made it free. I think he said it was for pneumonia. (No idea if I spelled that right - this program has no spell-check - I'm sure you've noticed.) He goes back for a booster in two months. Doc West said he probably didn't need it, because he's nearly out of the danger period when illnesses can kill him, but he gave it to him anyway, just because he can.
John is such a character. Doc West was running really late - very unlike him. His is the only clinic I know that runs on time. I had to amuse John in the examination room, so I let him explore the floor. He kept crawling up to the door, peering around the edge to look at all the people in the waiting room down the hall. Eventually they noticed him and started chucking. He pulled back and snickered, then did it again - slowly peering around the corner, until they laughed. After a few times, he got really brave. He flashed me a look, then scooted full throttle across the hall to the nurse's station, to the delight of his fans. (He has such a thing for nurses. In a room full of women, where only one is a nurse, he goes for the nurse every time - even nurses he's never met before. It's kind of creepy.) His fans were all very disappointed every time I pulled him back into the room, but he's so small and the docs really fly down that hall - I had visions of him getting kicked or stepped on. I imagine it would have been pretty funny to see from the waiting room - a baby's eyes peering around the corner, then him streaking across the hall, wearing nothing but a diaper, to the nurse's station. Then, the whole place got to see him buck naked, as I scooted from the scale back to the room. I was holding him out at arms length, hoping he wouldn't pee on me. The waiting room got a real kick out of that too. He was quite the little celebrity by the time we left.
I've been taking John out to the yard bit by bit. I discovered why he didn't crawl in the grass last time - he doesn't like how it feels on his hands. He'd put his hands down, then recoil as soon as he touched the blades. I was so cute! He eventually got over it, though, and started booting around the yard, to the horror of the cats. Until now, the yard has been their domain. Crawling on the grass brings a whole new set of perils. I looked away from him for a second to pet one of the cats; when I looked back, he had a huge clump of grass sticking out of his mouth. I pulled it out and washed him up as much as possible, but he still drooled mud for the next hour. That isn't the worst thing I've found in his mouth. Yesterday, he was sitting on the floor, with this really strange expression on his face. Then he opened his mouth and this huge glob of plaster fell out - probably tracked down from upstairs.
On the strike front, the strike lives on. The guys were advised to vote no on the last offer, so that's probably what they did. Supposedly there's a new offer out now, which they should be voting on soon.
For all you curling fans - what the heck was with the worlds this year! They squeaked into the finals, only because of some fluke misses by the other teams, then creamed Scotland in the final. I don't get it - but at least it wasn't boring!
3 comments:
Drywall is the enemy. I does, however, cover a multitide of sins. Tell Mike I said to measure three or four times and THEN cut it. If he's like me, he'll still get it wrong. And go easy on the filling compound. All of that stuff has to be sanded (or wiped down, if using the 'dust free' method). Do NOT use your vaccuum to clean up the dust as it will destroy the motor. Do NOT use a power sander on drywall unless you want dust throughout the entire house. These would be the two biggest lessons that I learned and pass on at no charge.
Actually, since you don't have a forced air heating system, you should be able to keep the dust confined pretty well....be sure to hang sheet plastic over the door to the room before the sanding starts.
Not sure how he remembers how I did drywall - he usually disappeared when the construction started. Sometimes with a small red car and some chick he was dating at the time, as I recall.
Good luck with the job. Hard decision, I know.
John....eats grass? Why not? My grandmother used to say that every kid eats a bushel of dirt before he's an adult. He'll stop eating grass and leaves soon....maybe move on to bugs or something.
Life goes on and it's another Monday morning in Dryden. Not that it's a different day anywhere else...
Hugs to you and John - don't hug Mike, he'll be covered in dust.
P-In-Lw
Being well acquainted with drywall & agree with everything Bruce said.
Steve put up the huge sheets of drywall in the living room (both times when I was out of town). Sometimes I did the putting together & was always the one to paint. After each session of fixing some big-mouthed friend would say "you shuda".
As we were never in a rush with any job ie curling, golfing, working - some jobs took a long time.
A mask is a must with drywall & sheets of plastic over doorways will contain the dust.
As long as you own your home renovations will continue.
Didn't Bruce offer to come for a week & help????
The robins are back, spring is here. Have a nice day.
Love - Gram
I wish you well.
I'm with Mike!!
I have seen my dad taking out the drywall to get to work a great number of times but don't really remember the steps in between that and picking out the paint.
Good luck with the job!
I remember a few years back when Ben was on Strike. I gave him a hunny-do-list so long that by the time there was a contract in front of him he would have signed anything to go back to work and get out of the house.
Nice to see John is doing so well, I sure wish I could meet him before you go back to work. Even if you guys want to come to Dryden for a week let us know, maybe we could all go out to the cabin for a night or two for old times sake.(I'm just too old to party like we use to though)
Take care!
Pam
Post a Comment